Central Union Elementary

Drinking Water Notice 062220

Drinking Water Important Information
Posted on 06/22/2020

Print Version
Spanish Version

Central Union School Has Levels of Arsenic
Above the Drinking Water Standard

Our water system violates the arsenic drinking water standard or maximum contaminant level (MCL), of 0.010 milligrams per liter. Although this is not an emergency, as our customers, you have a right to know what you should do, what happened, and what we are doing to correct this situation. We routinely monitor for the presence of drinking water contaminants and below are results for two quarters in 2019 and the first two quarters of 2020.

SOURCE  3rd QTR 2019
 4th QTR 2019
 1st QTR 2020
 2nd QTR 2020
 .010 mg/L  .011 mg/L  .011 mg/L  .011 mg/L  .011 mg/L 

What should I do?
• You do not need to use an alternative water supply (e.g., bottled water).
• This is not an emergency. If it had been, you would have been notified immediately. However, some people who drink water containing arsenic in excess of the MCL over many years may experience skin damage or circulatory system problems, and may have an increased risk to getting cancer.
• If you have other health issues concerning the consumption of this water, you may wish to consult your doctor.

What happened? What is being done?
Central Union has been consistently testing and tracking the arsenic levels every quarter and these have shown to slightly exceed the MCL. The State Water Resources Control Board has required that we identify interim and permanent solutions to reduce the arsenic to safe or non-detected levels. An interim solution would be to install reverse osmosis – point of use (RO-POU) filters throughout the school, and we are looking at treatment installation options to address the problem long-term. We appreciate your patience as we continue to evaluate all potential options. For more information, please contact the district office at (559) 925-2620 or the Kings County Health Department at (559) 584-1411.

Please share this information with all the other people who drink this water, especially those who may not have received this notice directly (for example, people in apartments, nursing homes, schools, and businesses). You can do this by posting this public notice in a public place or distributing copies by hand or mail.

Secondary Notification Requirements
Upon receipt of notification from a person operating a public water system, the following notification must be given within 10 days [Health and Safety Code Section 116450(g)]:
• SCHOOLS: Must notify school employees, students, and parents (if the students are minors).
• RESIDENTIAL RENTAL PROPERTY OWNERS OR MANAGERS (including nursing homes and care facilities): Must notify tenants.
• BUSINESS PROPERTY OWNERS, MANAGERS, and OR OPERATORS: Must notify employees of businesses located on the property.
This notice is being sent to you by Central Union School. State Water System ID#: 1600008. Date distributed: June 26, 2020.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.